Starlab's mission is to transform science into technologies with a profound positive impact on society. Our vision is to make science more useful, alive, vibrant, faster.
Our main areas of work lie in the Space and Neuroscience sectors, two key areas for the 21st century with a common element: the increasing availability of streams of information. We provide technical solutions, products and services for governments, industry and downstream markets. And we create spinoffs such as Neuroelectrics.
Our values are service, perseverance, entrepreneurship, meritocracy, scientific and engineering curiosity, quality and rigor. We provide an intense but fun, challenging, interdisciplinary, cross-cultural work environment full of opportunities for personal and professional growth for our team, and a constantly increasing value for our shareholders.
Starlab is looking for a bright software engineer with a very hands-on attitude to join our team.
The successful candidate will work at the forefront of earth observation research projects, with a focus on bringing research results to real-world applications.
We provide advanced solutions integrating earth observation augmented services and machine learning, to create new products able to be integrated in the decision chain for more competitive and sustainable operations.
The responsibilities of the successful candidate as a member of the Starlab Software team will include delivering polished and functional software to the Earth observation department. In this process, she or he might be involved in defining key technical requirements from user needs, providing accurate design solutions, building code according to design specifications and providing validation plans to fully test the candidate software solutions or some parts of them.
We deliver complete solutions, with backend and frontend, and deploy them into production, following best practices and high code quality standards. Our applications must be robust, scalable and reusable. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to experiment new technologies, and learn about exciting topics such as Big Data or GIS.
The following are key requirements :
- BSc. or MSc.: Computer Science or related. If you don’t have a degree, you must have a proven track record of programming experience (for instance having worked in a a Free and Open Source Project).
- Ability to handle projects with a “multi-scale” approach: able to maintain a high- level view while paying attention to detail.
- Very hands-on approach, and able to hit the ground running.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Fluent in English (spoken and written).
- , our culture is very important to us,
- Curiosity - things change and we need to adapt.
- Entrepreneurial spirit (we are a company, after all!).
As for the technical skills, these are must-haves:
- We use a range of languages, depending on the project. It is more important to be a quick and independent learner than a Jedi in a particular technology.
- Experience with database design and administration will be needed, when working on scalable back-ends. We work with the best breed of free and open source databases: PostgreSQL, MySQL and sometimes NoSQL too (e.g.: mongoDB).
- Most of our servers run Linux, so it is important to be comfortable using the command line (Bash shell, or similar).
And these are nice-to-haves:
- Web API design, REST in particular.
- We have some projects with sensors and other small devices. A knowledge of C or another low level programming language is always welcome.
- We work with geospatial datasets most of the time. Some knowledge of GIS technologies is highly relevant.
- DevOps experience with docker.
- Experience using git repositories.